- Do you have a personal smartphone?
- Do you use any zero-rated (data charge free) apps?
- Are you over 18?
- Do you live and work/study in South Africa?
If so, we would greatly appreciate your help! With your feedback, we can work towards improving security and privacy for users of zero-rated apps like yourself.
Zero-rated (data charge free) applications include:
- Cell C: Free Basics (Facebook, WhatsApp, Messenger, Bing, Wikipedia)
- Telkom: LIT (music and video streaming)
- MTN: Front Row, VU, Wikipedia Zero, or Music+
- Airtel: Free access to Twitter
What is the study about?
We are seeking information about security and privacy concerns of users of zero-rated apps. Our goal is to improve the design of these apps and make them more secure.
What do I have to do to participate?
- You must complete an interview, with your choice of in person at the University of Cape Town or over Skype. This interview should take between 30 minutes to 1 hour.
I’d like to participate. How can I sign up?
- To participate in the interview, fill out our contact form and we will be in contact to arrange a time to speak with you.
What do I get out of it?
- After you complete the interview, you will receive a R150 voucher for mobile data.
- Your feedback will help us improve zero-rated apps for users like yourself!
Ben Cohen, B.A. Computer Science, Princeton University
Marshini Chetty, Princeton University
Melissa Densmore, University of Cape Town